Creating A Stronger Defense

« Back to Home

2 Questions You May Have After Being Hurt At Work

Posted on

Even if you follow all safety procedures at your place of employment, there is still a possibility that you could be hurt on the job. When this happens, there are likely a lot of questions you may have, especially when it comes to ensuring that you can heal at home while still being compensated. Below are some answers to a couple of questions you may have after getting hurt at work that can help guide you as to what to do next.

1.  When and How Should You Let Your Employer Know about the Injury?

One of the first questions you may have after being injured at work has to do with letting your employer know that you were hurt on the job. When should you let your boss know about it, and how do you go about doing so?

Typically, businesses have a standard procedure that needs to be followed, such as letting your direct supervisor know as soon as you were hurt. If you wait until later in the day or even a day or two afterward, they may try to deny your claim for workman's compensation. Along with letting your workplace know about the injury, you should also call and make an appointment with an attorney to receive legal representation as soon as possible.

2.  Should You Go to See Your Own Doctor Even If You Were Seen by Your Employer's Physician?

After reporting the injury, your employer may decide to send you to their company doctor. Because of this, you may be wondering whether or not it is necessary to see your own doctor.

When you do see the doctor that represents the company, you should remember that they are most often there to serve your employer's interests. Because of this, you need to either go to the emergency room or make an immediate appointment with your own doctor. If you are unsure of which type of doctor to go see, ask an attorney for their recommendation.

As soon as possible after being hurt at work, you need to go through the proper channels set forth by your employer to let them know about the injury. And, even if they send you to a company doctor, you still want to go see your own physician. During these processes, you should also call to make an appointment with a worker's compensation attorney service to discuss your case and to receive further guidance on what to do next.

For more information, contact a company like Workers Comp Lawyer, PC.